Tuesday, April 24, 2012

the inside

They seem to only be allowing us in one room in the orphanage.  We really wanted to be able to walk around and see where the kids sleep and perhaps touch children that don't get any attention.  yesterday we were able to see a few other kids as the Babas walked them by our rooms, however most of those kids are ones that are being adopted.  While we LOVE the chance to check up on them so that Grace can give their parent's reports it is hard knowing that there are children being hidden within.

The reason given to us for not being allowed to go in when we know a few americans went all over the orphanage on another visit was that the old director should have been preventing that from happening.  The new director is not allowing us to go anywhere or take any pictures of kids that are not ours, which we are honoring.  This is hard though.  Please pray that when we ask about where Sam sleeps that we will get some answers and perhaps an opportunity to visit her crib.

I was listening to patty griffin's song "to the top of the world" last night.  While the song is not about orphans it is about some sort of neglect/abuse that altered a person's life.  Some of the lines are written below and they struck me in regards to the plight of these children.  That their voices may never be heard, that their gifts may never be developed, that the neglect has broken them.  And while through adoption they can be taken "to the top of the world" for many of them the damage of abuse with in the first 2 years of their life will live with them forever.  Kids that were placed in this orphanage that only had 1 ailment could have lived very full lives, they could have showed the world what they had to offer...but their treatment, the starvation and the lack of love and care has left them with much more severe issues.

The song is beautiful, sorrowful and Erie but beautiful.




There's a whole lot of singing
That's never gonna be heard
Disappearing every day
Without so much as a word
Somehow

I think I broke the wings
Off that little songbird
she's never gonna fly
To the top of the world
Now
To the top of the world

Cause everyone's singing
We just wanna be heard
Disappearing every day
Without so much as a word
Somehow

Gonna grab a hold
Off that little songbird
And take her for a ride
To the top of the world
now
To the top of the world

I am grateful that Sam has been placed in Grace's life.  She will soar to the top of the world with Grace.  We can see already how much potential, beauty and love is inside her.  I can't wait for her to get to break free of these chains of institutional bondage and be freed by Jesus' love through Grace.


 

4 comments:

  1. Anna,

    I am so very thankful that you volunteered to share this experience with Grace. She is going to need you so very much in the days to come. Know that we are praying for all 3 of you and that the blessings from this journey will be beyond your wildest dreams!

    Blessings,
    Hilary

    ...you didn't happen to take dance at HDA many years ago did you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure did Hilary...:) I believe you taught me some ballet at some point :) Thanks for the kind words and the prayers...the journey is wild!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping us updated. We are all thinking of you here and thinking of the children that you are visiting and of course, Sam. We are all praying for you and following you on this journey. Be safe! We love you!

    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly have no words that can express how I feel regarding the situation there. I simply praise God for Grace and little Sam and the love they will share. I pray that God will send more Graces to touch the lives of the other children there. I have been thinking about this every since you said something about having a group of people adopt a baby together. I have a non-profit organization I started a few years ago that has been inactive since I started helping at the NL. I have decided to start selling baby items I make and use the profits to give to this cause. I want to help others adopt babies that have been abandoned and hidden away. It truly takes a village to raise a child and as a member of a village, I want to help. So, By Grace Project, Inc., has a new project to tackle. I hope others will join me and that we will become the village that raises not just one baby, but many.

    ReplyDelete