Wednesday, April 25, 2012

culture to lighten the mood


so as any traveler knows, eating on the road can be a quite the experience.  Around here it is very hard for us because we can't read the language at all.  Fortunately some of the restaurants have english menus and add humor and excitement to our meals they are often poorly translated!  Below are a few that I found funny.  



"Broken (shaken) chicken meat/ chicken CHEST, onion, white WHINE."
I ate the "pie with chicken and it was pretty good.  Grace had to assure me a few times before I ordered that chicken "chest" did in fact mean chicken "breast".  I sure am glad she was right.


this one is hard to see "cheese in parchment", "Pane cheese", "pane yellow cheese" and "appetizing potatoes"


In a few spots they list things on "hot plate".  I am not for sure what they are getting at...do they want us to know the plate will be pre-warmed for us???
I took this picture for the "FILLER of Pangasius in PARCHMENT".  does anyone know what they were trying to say here????  I don't really want to eat filler myself...I guess this filler is wrapped in paper?

Grace ate the Caprese salad and loved it.  We both steered clear of the Salad "amphibian"...I guess they thought amphibian referred to the "tunny fish"

So what do you think the chicken leg could be filled with?  is it filled with the livers, walnut onion and mushrooms?  I guess I hope it is.  I also wondered about this "chicken broken meat in folio".  They really like to wrap stuff in paper products around here.  I do like the honesty of telling us the cheese is processed though. :)




above was our dessert from lunch.  We had kind of a rough lunch today as the restaurant didn't have an english menu we had to trust our waiter who fancies himself an english speaker...which he is not.  After he "translated" the options we still weren't sure what we ordered.  We didn't eat much of our meal and then he brought out the dessert on the house so we could try MACARONI as a dessert item.  I didn't mind it so I ate as much of mine and Grace's as I could :)  It was cold, and had large shell shaped noodles mixed in some kind of pudding???  The powered sugar on top was my favorite part.

I don't know if I will be able to go back for a picture or not, but we ate at a wonderful restaurant that had some of these same translation problems.  On one of the descriptions they must have given up because at the end it just said, "and something else"  We laughed pretty hard at that one....we didn't order it. :)






1 comment:

  1. This was hilarious! Although the food wasn't great I'm glad it provided y'all with a good laugh and a lighter mood.

    ReplyDelete