Monday, January 7, 2013

It's Not Just About the Money

I have been writing thank you notes lately to all of those who have been supporting our adoption financially. I am a little late in starting, so if you haven't gotten one yet....please know that I appreciate your gift and you will get a thank you (If you don't, I am so sorry and I do thank you!).

I try to convey in these notes how much a donation to our adoption means. And it isn't really just about the money, because the donation says so much more. I don't think I can really express everything it says to me. I try to wrap it up in one word called "support." But I would like to take the time to list the words your donations have spoken into my heart:

we believe in you,
we love your son,
we love you,
we don't think you are crazy,
we love what you are doing,
we want to be a part of your adventure,
the stories of these children have touched our hearts.
we are praying for you.

These are also wonderful words of encouragement to my soul. My well is emotionally dry right now. I can't seem to weep anymore, unless I am standing in front of my church :), but I love to hear that others still do. I am awed again when my words, when the stories from this orphanage shock someone into action; when words of the horrible truth strike their hearts and bring tears to their eyes, I am comforted. It's relieving to know that I am not alone, that I am not the only one who is carrying this burden. There are more people every day who are broken for the orphans of the world. It makes my brokenness seem appropriate, valid and right because others are feeling it too. So your donation also says,

you are not alone,
we are here with you,
the Lord has heard you,
He is for you,
we are with you,
you are not alone.
Simon will not be forsaken.
Your pain matters.
His hurt matters.
HIS LIFE MATTERS.

The outpouring of financial gifts has meant so much to us. But kind words and broken hearts mean so much as well. Some of the sweetest, small gifts have blessed me as much as the large ones. It has reminded me that we give out of what we have. I had a couple different experiences this week when people emptied their pockets after I told them about Simon. They just gave me all that they had. It touched me, deeply.

I have friends who are helping me raise this money. My friends Ben and Andrea are throwing a pancake feed this weekend to fundraise for us. It will be held at the Northern Lighthouse Church (6131 N. 14th St) from 10am to 1pm. Please come out if you live around Lincoln and eat some pancakes and throw some money in the bucket for Simon.

If you don't live around Lincoln, we have some new friends that are helping us with an online auction. From February 1st through the 7th you can go online and bid on items and all the money will go toward our adoption. Here is the website: treasuresinhiddenplaces.blogspot.com
(They will be referring to Simon as Peyton because that was his name on Reece's Rainbow).

Thanks, friends and when I say thanks I mean, I love you and appreciate your hearts so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment