Wednesday, January 2, 2013

by faith


I have spent a few days thinking about our adoption process through the lens of hebrews 11. I do not pretend that my experience is something to compare to the great men and women of faith in the word but I am hoping that this exercise will help my faith. So here goes....here is our adoption "by faith".

"Now faith is confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." Hebrews 11:1

It was by faith, when we learned the truth of the condition of children left in their cribs, that we said we would adopt.

By faith we poured over files of children we could have loved and selected our son. By faith we believe that those we are leaving behind will also find their families. (oh God please help my unbelief)

By faith we faced our fears of pain, heartache, inadequacy, financial ruin, relational loss And said yes to tenaciously pursuing the adoption of a child who may or may not love us back. By faith we agree to love a child we have never met regardless of the condition of his mind, his ability to ever talk, walk, or gain independence from us because we have no idea what he can or will do.

By faith we believe love can heal his broken body. By faith we say, whatever time we are given with Simon is a gift.

By faith we trust the lord to provide for us financially to both adopt and also to care for this child's medical needs. We trust that the Lord will continue to provide us with emotional support through the believers around us, both family and friends.

For it was by faith that believers before me brought children home and began to watch them be healed by the Lord and by their love. It was by faith that Susana brought Katie home. It was by faith Stephanie brought Lina home. It was by faith that Grace brought Samantha home. It was by faith that Elizabeth and Tom brought Noah, Moses and Jacob into their family. It is by faith that those who have been adopted into God's family reach out to bring the lonely, broken, unloved, forgotten children of the world into their family. Through faith these believers continue to trust the Lord to provide for their physical, emotional and spiritual needs. By faith they watch the Lord bring love, peace, goodness, patience and wholeness into not only their homes but into their children's hearts.


By faith I trust the Lord to help mend and maintain relationships that are strained and tested by our radical obedience to adopt a special needs child. By faith I believe he will make all things new.


By faith I believe Simon is my son. By faith I pray that we will one day meet him face to face. Oh how we long to bring him home. By faith we believe God has called him into our family, by faith his brother waits to meet him, to dance with him and play catch with him.


By faith we believe this process will not bring our family to shame nor break our home. By faith we hope to show those that doubt this process that God is in it. That God is for us...and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.


Mark 9:24 I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief.

Oh God.....please help my unbelief.

1 comment: