Friday, June 14, 2013

Russia

I didn't write much during the month of May but I did read quite a bit. One book that I read was called, The Boy from Baby House 10. It is a true story of a boy's journey from a baby house in Russia, through the Russian Mental Institutions and eventually into the loving arms of a mother in Pennsylvania. (Now, I have never been to Pennsylvania but it seems to be full of very amazing people in the adoption world, has anyone else noticed this? :)) If you haven't read it...you should.

It gives a very clear description of the terrors that children institutionalized in eastern Europe face. My husband and I both liked being able to see a little more clearly the mentality of baby house workers toward kids with special needs and towards authority. I think it has helped me to allow more grace and forgiveness into my heart for them. HOWEVER it is still hard to read. I told my husband that it was hard for me to read, and he said that I should focus on the fact that this child gets adopted at the end. But then through tears I said, maybe that would be possible if I didn't know that NO MORE CHILDREN are being ADOPTED from RUSSIA NOW!

The ban of Russian Adoptions to the United States was very big news. What you might now know is that this ban has affected families who were already in process. Meaning, there were families that had already visited their children, who had already paid thousands of dollars, who suddenly were told they could NOT continue the process to bring their child home. I don't even want to think about how I would feel if at this point in the process Bulgaria said to me, well, sorry it is over, you can't bring Simon home. Instead he will continue to live in the institution for the rest of his life...no wait, actually just for a couple more years before we transfer him to a mental institution where he will be so grossly abused and neglected that he will die. We just really want to send your government our message. WHAT???

The message that has been sent is LOUD and clear, Putin doesn't care at ALL about these kids. I do, do you? It doesn't feel like there is too much we can do. But if you have a facebook account you can go to this page and "like" it. If you read through it you will find that the 300 families who are stuck in the process have been doing all they can to fight it. If you live in certain states you might be able to help by talking to your senator....especially a senator that hasn't shown support for these families....YET!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/300-Broken-Promises/455788397829850?ref=ts&fref=ts
(you will probably have to copy and paste this link :))

Also please watch this http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkmatterlove/the-dark-matter-of-love-joins-the-fight-to-free-th-0 it actually explains why the adoption ban was put in place. It is a promo video for a documentary that could really raise enough awareness to change things. Please support them financially if you are able.

Pray for the children of Russia....it is all we can do now. Please do read this book as well...it will give you some deeper understanding of the system we are fighting. And watch the documentary, maybe even have a gathering at your house to show it. Raise awareness of this situation...don't let anyone forget that these kids are being used politically and are being prevented from joining loving familles.

No comments:

Post a Comment